Australia has secured 10 finalists at the global shortlist stage of the Gerety Awards, the creative prize that brings together an all female jury to select the best in advertising from a powerful perspective.
The Monkeys, which was named AU/NZ Agency of the Year last week, along with Bullfrog lead the AU/NZ packs with three shortlisted entries each. The Monkeys has been shortlisted twice for The Government of Tuvalu ‘The First Digital Nation’ and once for UN Women Australia ‘Equality: Our Final Frontier’, whilst Bullfrog has been shortlisted for DIY Blinds ‘Change the Ugly’, Crime Stoppers Victoria ‘Evidence Dump’ and AIA Australia ‘All Or Something’.
Scoring one finalist apiece from Australia is 72andSunny ANZ for Who Gives A Crap, VMLY&R Australia for Honest Eggs Co. ‘FitChix’, Truce for Maybelline New York ‘Maybelline: Through Their Eyes’ and Fin Design + Effects for Hyundai ‘Have You Tried It’.
Says Kim Pick, ECD at VMLY&R New Zealand and AU/NZ ambassador: “Shout out to an impressive, insightful and articulate panel of jurors who brought robust discussion and fresh perspectives to the work in front of us. Some, who had previously not had the opportunity to represent on an international jury, added an invaluable and unique lens on a range of subjects – from calling out ableist language in one piece, to bringing first-hand experience as a female gamer to another. Creating a platform for this is just one reason the Gerety Awards continues to play an important role in the industry.”
In-person judging sessions were held around the world, and this week you can watch the jury insight panels LIVE from Romania, UK, USA, Colombia, Spain, Sweden, UAE, India and AU/NZ.
A total of 325 entries were shortlisted from 42 different countries:
– Most shortlisted category: across different media is the Craft Cut with a total of 79 shortlisted entries and Works for Good with 66 entries.
– Most shortlisted campaigns: Across multiple categories, House of Legends, SickKids Foundation by Cossette followed by THE GLITCH for Alzheimer Forschung Initiative by BBDO Germany and Shout for Movistar from VMLY&R Mexico.
– Most Shortlisted Agency: Cossette with 16 shortlisted entries
– Most shortlisted Brand: McDonald’s across 10 different countries with shortlisted entries from Cossette, DDB Warszawa, DDB Wien, DENTSU INC, Leo Burnett Group Manila, NORD DDB Helsinki, OMD Germany, Scholz & Friends, TBWA\Paris and Wieden+Kennedy
– Most shortlisted network: from 12 different countries is VMLY&R
– Most shortlisted Holding company: Omnicom with 60 shortlisted entries followed by IPG with 53 and WPP with 52 shortlisted entries
The Grand jury will now choose the final winners which will be announced Tuesday, September 5. It will include Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Grand Prix, along with the overall Network and Agency of the year winners.
The 2023 Agency and Production Company of the year by country winners are:
– AU/NZ Agency of the Year: The Monkeys part of Accenture Song, Sydney
– UAE Agency of the Year: Impact BBDO
– UK Agency of the Year: The&Partnership
– USA Agency of the Year: Observatory
– Spanish Agency of the Year: Sioux & Cyranos
– Indian Production Company of the Year: Vanilla Films
– Spanish Production Company of the Year: Mamma Team
– UK Production Company of the Year: Riff Raff Films
– USA Production Company of the Year: Partizan
*Agency and production company of the year by country is chosen by the local juries from the portfolio cut and requires a single film no longer than 5 minutes in length that includes up to three pieces of work from the past 12 months.